I finally finished my experiment I've made a Shrug using the Squared Lost in Time pattern, this is a paid pattern on Ravelry but I think it was worth it.
The yarn is Stylecraft Batik Swirl Forest and the edging was using a matching Batik. It did take quite a few swirls in fact five and I made a fold edging which again took 3 balls of matching Batik.
It's incredibly warm but I'm a bit worried it might stretch with the weight but we will wait and see, it could be it will return to size once its been washed again, a bit like a pair of jeans.
I used the diagram on this blog to work out how much armhole space to make and size.
I gone back to making squares that I was making on Thursday Nights at my Sister's while I decide what to make next.